Rangers of the North
The hill-fort of Dol Gormaen was founded by its namesake as a frontier citadel of Arthedain in T.A. 1325, soon after the fall of neighboring Minas Eldanaryaron to Angmar. Less than a century later, Dol Gormaen itself fell to the Witch-king’s hosts during the Second Northern War of T.A. 1409.
Since Dol Gormaen’s occupation by Angmarean Orcs, the Witch-king has used the fortress primarily as a spearhead for minor (and, occasionally, major) forays against Arthedain. During the interim, the stronghold is greatly under-garrisoned, housing only 150 Orcs with a contingent of 20 wolf-riders. Consequently, these Orcs are likely to let things “get by them.” While on long scouting expeditions, Rangers from Arthedain regularly stole food from the citadel’s stores; but the eyes of Dol Gormaen were always vigilant, and those who do not take that vigilance seriously may learn of their peril overlate.
A large and rambling citadel, Dol Gormaen was constructed in typical Arthadanian fashion, being octagonally shaped with a tower at each angle. It possessed a larger stable than most such fortresses, and in Arthadanian hands it held 175 cavalry with another 25 mounted messengers, officers and scouts. These troops were augmented by 600 footmen with another 200 guards, cooks, grooms and other lackeys who could be armed and mobilized at a day’s notice.
Today the fort is only occupied by one living soul, the ancient Ranger Arthan. What he and his many animal companions are doing in the fort, no one seems to know.